Sunday, January 2, 2011

#reverb10 - December 26, 27

December 26: Soul food. What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth and touched your soul?

Good question! I do love to eat. This year I ate...delicious Hawaiian pizza from Miner Moe's - they serve it with cashews on top. Yum! The other night I ate true Swiss fondue that was incredible, made more incredible by the company of the Strotz family. In Mexico I ate aguachiles, basically a spicy lime ceviche shrimp that is to die for. That same night I had the best flaming banana dessert I have EVER eaten in my life...sugar cinnamon, alcohol, orange juice, lemon zest, all lit on fire and carmelized with bananas over a period of maybe 20 minutes, served hot over fresh vanilla bean ice cream. I wrote the recipe down somewhere and I want to try it someday.

The brisket in Austin. Oh my. So moist it melts in your mouth. Everything tastes amazing in Texas. Even streetcorner pizza after a night on Sixth. And the crepes we had! THE QUESO. Everything! If my soul had a mouth it would be watering too.


December 27: Ordinary joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

Every time I get to take off my work shoes and put on flip flops before I drive home after shooting a wedding. It's relief mixed with an adrenaline rush that only comes when you realize the gravity of the task you just completed. It's a reward for a job well done and I feel great because I know that couple will be looking through the images I made for them for the next 50 years. Honestly, I try to live every day with some amount of joy and even if I can't, at least allow myself to embrace whatever emotions come to me that day. It's a mind set, not necessarily just an emotion that comes to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment