Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#reverb10 - December 16

December 16: Friendship. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

Well. Let me begin by saying that no matter how hard I try, all the touchy-feely warm fuzzy examples I think of can't top this one that left me feeling a little sad. I do have a friend who taught me a valuable lesson this year: when you do business with friends, don't give them the benefit of the doubt. It's still business.

Long story short, in the summer I reserved a 2011 wedding date for a friend whom I trusted with a verbal agreement. We agreed to set in place the contract/deposit later when she was back home for the holidays. Mistake!

One day in November I read an e-mail on my phone that said I had a new Facebook message. Apparently, because of a $100 disagreement over the price of the contract she kept shopping around - without telling me, as I continued to reserve this date for her - and found a cheaper option.

The saddest part is that if she had just picked up the phone rather than sending me a Facebook message after the fact, I probably would have cut her that slack. We could have figured out an alternative.

So, moral of the story - no matter how kindhearted you are, how trusting and good-natured, money can still take precedence. Business is business; even if you've known a client for 15 years it's still important to have a signed contract, first thing's first.

My kingdom for a horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment