Thursday, December 2, 2010

#reverb10 - December 2

What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing, and what can you do to eliminate it?

When I got this prompt in my inbox this morning, I was a little disappointed. My first thought was, gosh, I was excited for the next amazing inspirational prompt and here we have a specific prompt about something that isn't really that important in my life.

But that got me thinking. Writing for pleasure or catharsis used to be a pretty significant piece of who I am. When I was upset or overwhelmed with any emotion I'd write to get those nebulous clouds of thought out of my head and into clear form on a piece of paper, which helped me analyze everything I was thinking and doing. Self-therapy. And when I was having an amazing time working as a journalist I'd at least write down the few coolest things I did each day, so I'd have a log of all the amazing experiences I had in that period of my life.

So there are a lot of bits and pieces that don't contribute to my writing, or who I am. The main factor is that I never take time for myself. No time for thought means no time for growth. I would, of course, like hours and hours to pick up the hobbies I used to enjoy, like playing my guitar, writing, painting, even walking my dog...all of which help me reflect on my life.

Thanks to this prompt I'm now thinking about what I can do to make a little more time for writing and all the other things that I love. Unfortunately decisions or plans don't always have meaning. My dad always tells the story of three frogs on a log; one decides to jump off, and how many are left? Three. Deciding to do something doesn't mean you'll take action. You just have to leap, which is why I signed up for Reverb10. So in a way, I've already taken a huge step toward all those things I want for the future.

I know that having a life that's deeper than just work will help me become a better writer and human. I want play! I want love, peace and clarity. I want catharsis. I'm so glad I have an excuse to write every day this month.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you there - writing is so great for personal growth and reflection. I enjoyed your post, and the beautiful picture at the top. p.s. found your blog on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura! It's tough to spill your guts to strangers on the internet but nice people like you make it a little easier :) I hope you're doing Reverb10 too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me feel a little closer to you getting to read these thoughts. I like what you said about writing out your thoughts to make them a little clearer. I think it can also help you to achieve all your goals for self betterment. You make me want to blog too, but I feel like I should focus my creative efforts on design right now : )

    ReplyDelete