Monday, December 13, 2010

#reverb10 - December 9, 10

December 9 I fell off the #reverb10 wagon because I didn't really identify with the prompt. Then I had company and parties over the weekend so now it's catch-up time! Sorry for the wait...


December 9 - What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010?

As far as social gatherings go I'm not so sure that one was greater than another this year. Are all parties created equal? I do, however, have several highlights of a year well-lived:

Ringing in the new year with Kyle at a bar in Nevada City called Crazy Horse. We were easily the youngest ones there by a couple of decades, but the live music and cheesy party favors had us partying past midnight.

Dancing to "Thriller" with a pretty big portion of the adult cast of Star Follies after our final show. I remember Karen teaching us the specific gestures and everyone in the bar being suitably impressed (entertained?) by our slightly tipsy, very professional zombie moves.

Singing country/classic rock karaoke with my friends in Montana, and no one else in the bar knowing the words! We still brought the house down with our awesome talent.

Partying with one of my favorite wedding client couples of the year, my friends Betsy and Trey. They opted to go dancing until nearly dawn at the clubs in South Lake Tahoe with their close friends the night they were married.

As always, Tainted Love, which has become a tradition since Kyle and I finally showed our true feelings for each other two years ago at the 80's cover band show. This year I was Cleopatra and Kyle was a jeans-wearing Spock; our friends Megan (dinosaur a.k.a. Megosaurus) and Jesse (lumberjack...cue the song now) came up from the Bay Area, and my little brother, who never, ever, goes out with us, came along. It was amazing, but I don't remember as much as I'd like to after Megan bought me that tequila. Surrounded by Burners, vampires, vegetarian-loving chickens and one particularly rough-looking Jack-in-the-box, we sang and danced 'til the wee hours to the hits that were made while we were in diapers.


December 10 - Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?

The decision to let go of my pride and accept criticism with an open heart for the first time in my life. No, seriously, I don't take criticism well. I'm such a perfectionist that I take everything very seriously and almost personally if someone doesn't like something about my work. This year I've consciously made an effort to let people give me feedback, and incorporate it into my practices. As a result my amazing mentors for wedding photography, Tourine and Trevor Johnstone, have had a huge impact for the better on my all-around wedding/engagement skills.

Last year I agreed to become the Johnstones' associate wedding photographer and because of that, it was important for me to make an effort to learn no matter how uncomfortable the criticism (to their credit, they are always kind!). I'm the photographer you see today because of these two, and it's all because I finally let someone in; someone who could show me what high-end photography is all about and how I need to get there. Thanks to them I'm well on my way and am so very grateful for their friendship and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment