Monday, December 6, 2010

#reverb10 - December 6

Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

Forgive me, for my creativity seems to be stuck behind the pressure of a headache at the moment. As a photographer and relatively arts-oriented person I make things all the time - but the most recent non-work-related objects were a pair of pecan pies on Saturday. I love making the pattern in the edge of the crust with that little rolly tool that stamps neat little radial lines on one side and slices the excess crust off without mercy on the other. Whipping eggs until they're frothy, adding delicious un-heart-healthy sugar, Karo syrup, melted butter, and more chopped pecans than you can shake a stick at. And special vanilla we brought back from Mexico. Mmmm..

I'm working on learning how to make more time for myself, and succeeding too. It started Thanksgiving week, when I finally caught up with my runaway train of work from the fall. I would work late then sleep in, go to the gym, even read - and I didn't think about work once on Thanksgiving.

In my new practice of making time for fun I'd love to pick up my guitar and make music, pick up some knitting needles and make a scarf, maybe even (though it terrifies me) pick up my paintbrushes for the first time in several years and make something beautiful. Most of all I want to make something incredible of myself, which I work at every single day.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you writing!! I keep meaning to try one of these reverb posts...but haven't had time yet. Maybe I'll go for one a week.

    ReplyDelete